January 4, 2010

Onward and Upward

Dissatisfaction. Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended…” (Philippians 3:12-13; NKJV). Paul had a holy dissatisfaction with his relationship with God. He had not already attained (to take, lay hold of), he had not yet been perfected (to complete, accomplish). Paul was pressing (to pursue, to run swiftly) so he could lay hold (to lay hold of so as to make one’s own) what Christ had laid hold of him. He didn’t count (to take an inventory) himself to have apprehended (to take, lay hold of) of who He wanted to become in Christ. I can err thinking better of myself than I am. I can err thinking worse of myself than I am. I need a holy dissatisfaction with myself.


Devotion. “…but one thing I do…” (Philippians 3:13; NKJV). Paul was absolutely devoted to becoming like Christ. Perhaps I am involved in too many things. Double-minded people are unstable (James 1:8). I need to focus on Him and on Him alone.


Direction. “…forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead…” (Philippians 3:13; NKJV). Paul set his course to forget (to lose out of mind) those things which were behind (back, of time or place) and to be about the business of reaching forward (to stretch oneself) to those things which were ahead (front, of time or place). This is not a command toward the impossible feat of mental and psychological gymnastics by which we try to force ourselves to forget our own past. I break the power of the past by living for the future! I cannot change the past, but I can change my future direction! The matter of forgetting applies to both kinds of past experiences, righteous and wicked. Whatever you have done, forget it, move on, reach forward! You have work to do in the Kingdom!


Determination. “I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 3:14; NKJV). To press is to pursue, to run swiftly. The goal is the end one has in view. The prize is the award to the victor. The call or invitation of God is high, or upward or on the top. We press to be like Him. To be where He is!


Press. Press is a verb that means to pursue and is used as a metaphor from the footrace, in Philippians 3:12, 14, of "speeding on earnestly,” (Vine’s). The call is to “press.” Let us go onward and upward in Christ Jesus. Let us press on the upward way and gain new heights every day!